Address of this website

www.claygate.club

President — June Buckland

REMOVE: never
/cbc/eminence/

Your Committee

Chairman — Gavin Wilson 📧 gavin@claygate.club

Treasurer — Muriel Hodder

Secretary — Kay Wilson 📧 kay@claygate.club

Refreshments  Yvette Barton 📧 yvette@claygate.club

Membership — Pauline Harris 📧pauline@claygate.club

REMOVE: never
/cbc/committee/
The Director team

The Director team comprises:

  • Rowena Austin
  • Gavin Wilson
REMOVE: never
/cbc/directing/
The Scorer team

The Scoring Team comprises:

  • Carol Wildig (Team Leader)

  • Gavin Wilson

  • Ruth Rettie 

REMOVE: never
/cbc/scoring/

In 2018, Claygate will start rolling out the wireless scoring system called BridgePal, which runs on smartphones and tablets.  The implementation team today consists of Gavin Wilson and Carol Wildig, but more volunteers will be very welcome.  We will provide as much help and training as each North needs to enter the scores into the handset.

Further information about BridgePal can be found here.

1st February 2018

 

claygate%20bbc%20small_zps05w95dhi.png

 

Minutes of the Meeting of the Claygate Bridge Club Committee held at 14.00 on the 1st February 2018 at Torrington Close


Present:

Chairman: Gavin Wilson (GW)
Elected Committee Members: Yvette Barton (YB), Pauline Harris (PH), Muriel Hodder (MH), Kay Wilson (KW)
Co-opted Committee Members: none
Other Club Members: none

1. Apologies for Absence

None.

2. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 20th November 2017

The minutes of the meeting of 20th November 2017 were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

3. To Report on the Actioning of Items from Previous Meetings

  • 17-2Ⓐ2 GW agreed to ask the council's adult education teachers for referrals. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ
  • 17-2Ⓐ4 GW to circulate the committee with details of the EBU's P2P debits of this year. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ
  • 17-2Ⓐ5 GW to send PH another copy of the EBU Invoice for the 2017 Law books. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ1 MH/PH to check, when the room hire bill from Elmbridge arrives in January, that the club was awarded two freebie evenings as a result of the first debacle. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ
  • 17-3Ⓐ2 GW to request another freebie session from the Day Centre Manager, because of the second evening of chaos. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ3 GW to ask David Rotherham about previous arrangements for the club's public liability insurance cover. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ4 MH/PH jointly to sign the year's financial accounts. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ
  • 17-3Ⓐ5 GW to ask DAVID ROTHERHAM to help with the drinks again. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ6 Due to sticky fingers from eating, GW is requested not to change the cards until after the Party. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ7 GW to announce to the Club that normal bridge will follow the Party. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ8 The Monday after this announcement, GW to circulate a clipboard register of interest, to enable YB & MH to estimate numbers. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ9 GW to request that the Day Centre be opened by 1815 on the day of the Party. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
  • 17-3Ⓐ10 GW to find at least one — preferably two — technically capable club members to help plan and support the roll-out. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ Carol Wildig (CW) has volunteered.
  • 17-3Ⓐ11 GW to provide training to the scoring team. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ GW needs to discuss this with CW.
  • 17-3Ⓐ12 GW to provide training to users. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ Three videos have been created and links placed on the club website. But face-to-face tuition is vital.
  • 17-3Ⓐ13 GW to provide gentle familiarisation for everyone before launching in to the big roll-out. ⓞⓟⓔⓝ GW sent an email broadcast to all members alerting them to the future roll-out. The BridgePal system has been active for two evenings so far, with two users on the first night, and one on the second.

4. Chairman's Report

GW expressed his disappointment that the numbers are down — 10-11½ tables so far this year, compared to 13-14½ last year over the same period — when most other indicators suggest the club is doing well. Others have reviewed the membership and believe that there are around 10 members who are unlikely to renew this year, either due to infirmity or relocation. The Club has a substantial float, but we should aim to cover our variable costs. GW said he believed the membership was not especially price-sensitive in the £2-£3 zone, compared to the price of an evening's entertainment at say, the Everyman Esher. The key focus for 2018, once we have bedded in the BridgePal handsets, must be recruitment and succession. He did not believe a £3 price tag would put off new members. At this point, the committee embarked on a general discussion of the factors that would attract and retain new members. The entire committee agreed that the fundamental factor affecting the retention of potential new members is the reception they get at each table on their first visits to the club.

Jeremy Dhondy, in his chairman's forward in a recent issue of English Bridge wrote that the key to each club's survival is to offer tuition. Claygate cannot do that, because we lack our own premises.

It was noted, in passing, that Oxshott seems a friendlier club, and one factor in this may be that refreshments are still served from a hatch at the interval. One player from each table goes up to the hatch to collect the foursome's orders, and for the duration of the interval, each four is obliged to be social towards each other. There is no such obligation at clubs such as Claygate where refreshments are available for most of the evening on a self-service basis. (Perhaps Claygate could have an interval without incurring the expense of hiring a hatch-person?)

Another suggestion was that Claygate could have a New Members Recruiting evening.

Another suggestion was that a member would have a free evening's bridge if they coax a friend to join the club.

This will be a recurrent theme of 2018.

  • 18-1Ⓐ1 GW/KW to pay their 2018 subs.
  • 18-1Ⓐ2 GW to send an email broadcast to all members, and to put up an item on the website, about paying their 2018 subs.

5. Treasurer's Report

PH projects that the club's total cash holdings fell to around £4.7K at the end of 2018. The club incurred some major expenses in 2017 which will last us for several years: electronic scoring handsets and customised stationery. No major new expenses are foreseen for 2018. The club can continue for the foreseeable future, even at current table money prices and attendance rates.

The committee agreed not to put a proposal, at the March AGM, to increase table money from £2 to £3 for members.

  • 18-1Ⓐ3 PH to finalise the 2017 numbers and then forward the accounts to John McKimmie for review.

6. The Christmas Party

It was widely felt that the Xmas Party had gone very well. There was less wastage, because the purchasing department was aware of likely numbers before descending upon M&S. Many members helped out, both before the start and after the end of the evening, for which the committee is very grateful.

7. Computerised Scoring

The kick-off has been slightly slower than desired, due to the holiday bookings of the key participants in this process. It is hoped that the proper roll-out can begin in March (2018, probably).

8. The Annual General Meeting — 12th March

There is not much to be discussed, and some felt that we could suggest a 1915 start. It may be that members feel otherwise.

All the current members of the committee are prepared to stay in their current roles, on their existing salaries and benefit schemes, for another year.

However we would welcome anyone who wants to join the committee, and responsibilities can be shuffled around to accommodate the skills of interests of any new joiner. The officer positions — Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer — are subject to election, and we would encourage any member who wants to stand for any of these positions.

GW said he would bring along a microphone and loudspeaker as a trial.

PH said she cannot attend the AGM, due to a prior commitment. GW urged the early publication of the 2017 accounts, so that PH could answer any questions by email, and MH would face a minimum of tough questions at the AGM.

9. Data Privacy

The EBU is having a big push on the General Data Protection Regulation which comes into force in May. The Club must comply, although we have conducted a self-assessment which indicates that the club need not register with the ICO. There is not much that needs to change in our processes, although we need to ensure passwords are changed whenever a committee member or scorer retires. Our membership application form and renewal form need to be tweaked a little so that members have to opt in to allow their telephone number to be published on the 2018-19 Calendar. Every club must contend with workload imposed by any Subject Access Request that comes in, but so long as the committee, scorer and director teams continue the policy of not discussing individual members by email, the burden should not be great for Claygate.

  • 18-1Ⓐ4 GW to place a Privacy Notice on the club's website.
  • 18-1Ⓐ5 GW to modify the website version of the new member application form.
  • 18-1Ⓐ6 GW to modify the website version of the member renewal form.

See our draft response to the EBU's Data Protection points in Exhibit One appended to these minutes.

10. Any Other Business

While the chairman and secretary are away on holiday in February, Yvette volunteered to be the on-site committee representative for the evenings affected. Pauline volunteered to look after the hosting. GW hoped to be available by email during this period.

11. Date of Next Meeting

The committee agreed that the next meeting should take place at 1000 on Monday 16th April at Torrington Close.

Exhibit One: CBC's proposed responses to the EBU's points

EBU's Point
CBC's Response
On 25th May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will come into force, adding significantly to the existing Data Protection legislation and providing the possibility of severe sanctions against organisations that fail to comply. CBC intends to be 100% compliant in advance of its AGM on 12th March 2018.
All information you collect relating to your members is “personal data”. Keep it secure and only use if for the purpose for which it was collected. Do not pass it on to anyone unless that was explicitly part of the reason for collecting it. We believe we comply with this already.
If you keep paper records they should be secure. If on club premises they should be locked, with a note taken of who are key-holders. Historical files are held at the Secretary's home. Financial records are held at the Treasurers' homes. The club has no premises. No data records are kept in the club's cupboard at Claygate Centre for the Community.
If you keep your records on a computer, they should only be accessible by appropriate people – the computer and/or the folders in which they are contained should be locked and/or encrypted.

All of the personnel below use only password-protected laptops to store and process personal data:

  • Pauline Harris, the membership secretary, keeps a membership database on a spreadsheet on her computer.
  • Gavin Wilson, the chairman and webmaster, has a copy of that database to enable his duties — in particular, email broadcasts to the membership. His computer is password-protected at both the hard disk level and the system level.
  • Kay Wilson, the secretary, has a file containing email addresses and phone numbers to enable her to manage the host rota. Her computer is password-protected.
Only committee members or club managers, if relevant, should have access to members’ records. Passwords should be changed whenever these roles are filled by new people.
  • We change the passwords for access to Bridgewebs when there is a change of webmaster.
  • We will change passwords for access to the EBU website when the webmaster or any scorer retires from office.
Emails should not be sent to groups of people in a way that makes their email addresses visible. We always use blind-copy in our email broadcasts to ensure that members do not see the email addresses of other members.
For committees where you would like them to be able to reply to all recipients to continue a discussion, it is acceptable to copy them all in the usual fashion providing they were told this when they joined the committee and they have been given the option to not be copied in this way. Any committee members who are concerned about this might be advised to have a separate email address just for the purpose of committee business.
  • The committee does not engage in email discussions of any length.
  • Separate email addresses were set up for each member of the current committee.
Committee members’ contact details should only be displayed on websites if they have specifically agreed to this. It may be sensible for this information, if it must be available, to be in a password-protected area of the website, only available to members. Only email addresses are displayed on unprotected pages, and this usage is restricted to the minimum necessary.
Clubs should not issue lists of members' contact details (telephone number and email address) to all their members. Any such list that is made available should only contain the details of members who have specifically agreed to this. Any clubs that currently publish such a list should contact all members on it to ask whether they wish to remain on the list. They should be asked to “opt in” to this - it is not permissible for the default to be to include them unless they opt out. The club provides a list to all members showing one contact method for almost every member, to assist the arranging of one-off partnerships. This list is only available in hard-copy form, and only from the club. All members are asked to opt in when they begin or renew their membership.
Access to a club’s or county’s My EBU is currently gained by using that organisation’s password. This means that any committee member who needs access needs to have the password, rather than accessing it through their own personal login. For this reason, you should keep the number of people who have access to the password to a minimum. You should change the password whenever any of those officers change. The only members with club-level access to My EBU are the chairman and each of the scorers.
  • We will instigate a process so that the password is changed whenever one of these members retires from their duties.
Do not keep data in more places than necessary — not only does this weaken your security, it also increases the possibility that the data will get out of sync and will not be consistent in different places. It is however sensible to have a backup of your data providing that you have a system to ensure it is backed up regularly and kept in a secure place.
  • Only the membership spreadsheet is held by more than one individual, as specified above.
  • The finance and membership team backs up their data through PH maintaining the master version and sending a current copy to MH from time to time.
Many applications, such as your scoring program, have the ability to store significant amounts of data about your members, but unless you are using them as your primary database (and securing them appropriately), you should only store the minimum amount of essential information on them. Our scoring programs keep the minimum data on each player: name and EBU number.
Not all clubs and counties will need to register with the ICO but you can check on your particular circumstances at https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/self-assessment/. You are likely to need to register if you use security cameras or if it is a proprietor club, but it is best for each club to check based on their own circumstances. From GJW's 30-JAN-2018 self-assessment on the ICO website:

1. Do you use CCTV for the purposes of crime prevention? No

2. Are you processing personal information? Yes

3. Do you process the information electronically? Yes

4. Is your organisation responsible for deciding how the information is processed? Yes

5. Do you only process information for one of the following purposes? Yes

ICO system says: You are under no requirement to register.