Address of this website

www.claygate.club

President — June Buckland

REMOVE: never
/cbc/eminence/

Your Committee

Chairman — Gavin Wilson 📧 gavin@claygate.club

Treasurer — Muriel Hodder

Secretary — Kay Wilson 📧 kay@claygate.club

Refreshments  Yvette Barton 📧 yvette@claygate.club

Membership — Pauline Harris 📧 pauline@claygate.club

TO BE AGREED — Julie Minards 📧 juliem@claygate.club

TO BE AGREED — Vicky Bevan 📧 vicky@claygate.club

REMOVE: never
/cbc/committee/
The Director team

The Director team comprises:

  • Rowena Austin
  • Gavin Wilson
REMOVE: never
/cbc/directing/
The Scorer team

The Scoring Team comprises:

  • Carol Wildig (Team Leader)

  • Gavin Wilson

  • Ruth Rettie 

REMOVE: never
/cbc/scoring/

In 2018, Claygate will start rolling out the wireless scoring system called BridgePal, which runs on smartphones and tablets.  The implementation team today consists of Gavin Wilson and Carol Wildig, but more volunteers will be very welcome.  We will provide as much help and training as each North needs to enter the scores into the handset.

Further information about BridgePal can be found here.

10th April 2017

claygate%20bbc%20small_zps05w95dhi.png

Minutes of the Meeting of the Claygate Bridge Club Committee held at 10.00 on the 10th April 2017 at Torrington Close


Present:

  Chairman: Gavin Wilson (GW)
  Elected Committee Members: Yvette Barton (YB), Pauline Harris (PH), Muriel Hodder (MH), Kay Wilson (KW)
  Co-opted Committee Members: none
  Other Club Members: none

1. Apologies for Absence

None.

2. Committee Members' Reports

Chairman's Report

One of the three principles the committee declared it would adhere to is to aim to run each Monday evening as smoothly as possible. To that end, a match report for each Monday evening was compiled to collect feedback on the session from the committee, the director and the scorer. So far the feedback has been positive, and the atmosphere feels good. We have recruited one new member — Tim Hoad — and lost Vanessa Relleen.

Treasurer's and Membership Secretary's Reports

There should be a new member's joining fee of £10. The form for new members should include a proposer and a seconder. PH will do the bulk of the financial computer spreadsheet work. Annual membership fees and table monies should be paid in on separate credit slips.

  • 17-1Ⓐ1 GW to redesign the Application Form for New Members.
  • 17-1Ⓐ2 PH to draft a letter on headed writing paper for David Rotherham to send to the bank to change signatories on the Club's account.
  • 17-1Ⓐ3 GW to send PH the softcopy club logo for headed writing paper. <DONE>
  • 17-1Ⓐ4 GW to create headed writing paper for the Club.
  • 17-1Ⓐ5 MH to discover weekly Day Centre hire fee and report to committee.

Secretary's Report

The workload has been survivable, so far.

Refreshment Executive's Report

YB confirmed that demand for peanut, garibaldi and shortbread biscuits was stable, post-Brexit. No-one at the Club appears to have a nut allergy.

  • 17-1Ⓐ6 GW to place a notice on the website about the presence of peanut biscuits in the general biscuit tin.

3. Allocating Roles

PH is happy to be the official Membership Secretary.

  • 17-1Ⓐ7 GW to update contact details on website.

4. Agree Fixtures for remainder of 2017-18

The committee agreed that the Christmas Party should be scheduled for 18th December 2017 and feature Normal Pairs bridge. The committee also agreed that, for calculating a member's Club Championship position in any session, non-members scoring a higher percentage on the evening will NOT be removed from the ranking in future. It is just too cumbersome for the tournament organiser to monitor the membership database throughout the Club Championship season.

There seems a widespread lack of enthusiasm about cups and trophies. YB believes that the Club treats some cups as interchangeable — a small cup she received for one tournament was then awarded to the winner of a different Claygate tournament! There is also indifference among members to teams events. The committee agreed to remove all teams events from the Club fixture list. The committee agreed to retain the club's current policy of participating in one SIMS event a year. The 2018 AGM will be scheduled for 12th March.

  • 17-1Ⓐ8 GW to update tournament rules on website.
  • 17-1Ⓐ9 GW to ask Wendy Stainer and/or Mike Mulligan what the Claygate Plate was in the 2016-17 season.
  • 17-1Ⓐ10 GW to investigate SIMS events planned for the Autumn and choose an appropriate one for the club calendar.

5. Production of Calendar Card

The committee decided it would like to return to a calendar card on which the phone number (or email address if the member prefers it) of each member is printed, provided the member is happy for that information to be circulated to other members.

  • 17-1Ⓐ11 GW to sound out members by email.

6. How should we handle inquiries from novices?

The committee agreed that the club does not currently have the right facilities or membership mix to enable a separate Novices or 'No Fear' section on Monday evenings.

  • 17-1Ⓐ12 The Committee agreed to sound out local bridge teachers who might point their alumni towards our Club.

7. Endorsing the Club's Values

The committee agreed to endorse the Club's values, which have been on the website for some two years at www.bridgewebs.com/cgi-bin/bwok/bw.cgi?club=claygate&pid=display_page24 . The committee also agreed that, in support of the EBU's Best Behaviour at Bridge campaign, they should encourage the use of convention cards.

  • 17-1Ⓐ13 Committee members to employ Convention Cards in their sessions.

9. Possible Goals and Strategies for the Club

The committee agreed that a goal of modest growth, aiming for an upper limit of 110 members on the list. Rejuvenation was also commended.

10. Any Other Business

  • 17-1Ⓐ15 Bridgemates to be put on the agenda for the next committee meeting.

11. Date of Next Meeting

The committee agreed that the next meeting should take place at 10.00 on Monday 3rd July at Torrington Close.